Oh. Yikes. Bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting for days. All from a mud run.
More than 20 people who took part in a mudder run event on a cattle ranch in Nevada in 2012 swallowed muddy water contaminated by animal feces and infecting them with a bacteria called campylobacter coli, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Thursday.
The bacteria makes for one rough week of diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain and fever. What a way to celebrate your accomplishment.
High-intensity and competitive muddy obstacle adventure course races have surged in popularity across the United States, drawing more than 1.5 million participants in 2012. Many of the races are held on farmlands where animal feces are abundant and hard to avoid.
Stomach distress has been reported in several other races. NBC reports that last year, state health officials in Michigan said 200 or so people got sick at a mudder race, likely from norovirus.